Sunday 20 January 2019

A Beginners Guide to an Ambivert

Hello wonderful people of the internet, my name is Damian, and I am a self proclaimed ambivert. This was not always the case, as I did not classify myself as such in my earlier years. So then, what is an ambivert? What journey did I take to realize who I am as a person? How did I end up where I am today? Let's find out.

Almost everyone has taken those surveys which classify them as either an introvert or an extrovert. As a result, many people assumed that only one of these traits applied to them. Consequently, I was one of those people.

In elementary school I always thought I was an extroverted kid. I laughed at the idea that the word "Damian" and "Introvert" could be applied in the same sentence. Hence, I loved socializing with friends at recess, loved group activities, and loved playing team sports, especially soccer. I was a very active kid that loved to make others laugh, as well as put smiles on other peoples faces.

The same could not be said at my time in high school. This was when I was first exposed to computers and the field of computer science. In Grade 9, I remembered building my first PC with my Dad. Seeing how this complex piece of machinery was very similar to Lego building blew my mind! Furthermore, my coding classes had an emphasis on video game development and design. This inspired me to pursue a career path revolving around video game design. From creating simple text-based games in python to experimenting with three-dimensional platformers in unity, I was amazed at the endless possibilities.

My Computer that I built with my Dad

There were days where I would be in front of the computer screen for hours, fascinated at what could be learned next. Because of this, I used to go home straight after last period almost every day; I wanted to get to my PC at home as soon as possible. Furthermore, I never really talked to anyone about it, mainly because I did not want to. I was perfectly comfortable working and learning alone, there was no problem in it. In short, it came to a point where I would leave through the back exit after class to avoid starting conversations with people. To summarize, I was a weird kid, as I would always magically disappear after school. This is when I started to assume that maybe I was an introvert instead.

This type of behavior translated into my studies at UTM, and my rough first year opened my eyes. Above all the problems that I encountered, it shown me that communication and networking is a crucial life skill. I struggled heavily in first year, like most students. This was not because I was lazy or I didn't try, it was because I was so stubborn to ask for help. Therefore, whenever I had questions or problems to be solved, I locked my self in my room and tried to solve the problem independently.

Realizing this, I took a new approach to communication in my second year, and this is where CSC290 comes in. I believe the qualities of being an introvert and the qualities of being an extrovert are important for pushing me in becoming my highest self. In elementary school I was more of an extrovert, and in high school I was more of an introvert. With the help of  CSC290 my goal in university is to discover myself and be comfortable with being both an introvert and an extrovert, an "Ambivert ".



So, let me know down below, what do you classify yourself as, an introvert, extrovert, or ambivert? Maybe you even classify yourself as an extroverted introvert, or an introverted extrovert!

That's it for me this week, I'll see you again in a couple of weeks! If you see me around UTM don't be afraid to say hi, I'm always happy to get to know others and develop my communication skills. Bye-Bye for now!





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Roads Untraveled

At the beginning of my CSC290 journey, I introduced myself as an Ambivert. An ambivert that wanted to benefit from both qualities of introve...